Orissa: Villagers coronate collector as `king`
Kendrapara: Keeping the age-old
tradition alive, the head of the district administration
assumed the title of a `king` for a day in a village in
The crowned district collector, on Tuesday, discharged
duties of a king in accordance with tenets of kingship, a
practice in vogue in Sidhala village under Madhupur
Even as the unique practice arouses curiosity among
outsiders, the `subjects` -- guided by Jagannath culture and
heritage -- are reaping the benefits by religiously holding on
Enthroning the district collector as the king and
caretaker of Baldevjew, the presiding deity of the village,
the locals have succeeded in developing the village.
"Paying respect to customary practice, I sat on the
throne and wore the crown. It was a thrilling experience,"
said Collector Narayan Chandra Jena who was `coronated` as the
`king` with typical regal touch and flavour.
"Every year, a coronation ceremony is held and the
collector graces the occasion to sit on the throne. For us he
is the king of Sidhala. He rules us and looks after the
development. He is also duty bound to take care of the
presiding deity, Baldevjew," a local said.
"We follow the Jagannath culture. Earlier, the local
zamindar wore the crown and headed the Baldevjew shrine. With
his death, dispute arose as to who will wear the crown. After
much debate, it was unanimously decided in 1994 that the
collector would be made the `king`. Request was made to the
then collector who consented. Since then, the practice is
going on," secretary of Baldevjew temple management committee,
Sura Prasad Nayak said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi