‘Oriya must be a medium of teaching with English’
Berhampur: Oriya should be the medium of teaching along with English in higher education for better understanding of subjects by students in Orissa, higher Education Minister, Badri Narayan Patra said.
The students will be able to understand the subject properly, if they are taught in their mother tongue alongside English, the minister added.
In case of technical subjects also the teachers should make use of Oriya language, while teaching to explain the students, he said adding some states had already been promoting their mother tongue in higher education.
At the same time, the minister said, one should not ignore the English language in the age of globalisation. I am not against English. English is essential for the medium of communication in the era of globalisation, he said.
The minister said, developed countries like China, Japan and Germany were promoting their country`s languages in higher education as well as research work.
The minister was here to inaugurate a workshop on the role of college teachers in promoting Oriya language in the class rooms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka