‘Oriya must be a medium of teaching with English’
Berhampur: Oriya should be the medium of teaching along with English in higher education for better understanding of subjects by students in Orissa, higher Education Minister, Badri Narayan Patra said.
The students will be able to understand the subject properly, if they are taught in their mother tongue alongside English, the minister added.
In case of technical subjects also the teachers should make use of Oriya language, while teaching to explain the students, he said adding some states had already been promoting their mother tongue in higher education.
At the same time, the minister said, one should not ignore the English language in the age of globalisation. I am not against English. English is essential for the medium of communication in the era of globalisation, he said.
The minister said, developed countries like China, Japan and Germany were promoting their country`s languages in higher education as well as research work.
The minister was here to inaugurate a workshop on the role of college teachers in promoting Oriya language in the class rooms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand