Ornithologists to count water-fowls in Chilika Lake
Berhampur: Over hundred experts
are expected in Chilika, the biggest lagoon in Asia, tomorrow
to count water-fowls, which have flown to the Lake to take
shelter during winter.
Ornithologists from the Bombay Natural History Society
(BNHS), Wildlife Institute of India (WII), Salim Ali Centre
for Ornithology and Natural History (SACON), noted bird expert
U N Deb and local wildlife activists will take part to count
the number of birds taking shelter in the blue lagoon,
The bird census would start from 6 am and continue
till 11 am, Divisional Forest Officer, Chilika Wildlife
Division, B P Acharya said.
Fishermen and tourists have been requested not to
enter the Lake during the period. "We cannot legally prohibit
them. We only appeal to them to cooperate for smooth conduct
of the census," he said.
The wildlife officials divided the 1150 sq km area of
the lagoon into 17 zones and each zone is entrusted with a
group to count the birds. Ahead of the census, training was
imparted to participants at Chandraput today, Acharya said.
Experts from several other institutions including
universities in Orissa would also be involved in the counting,
The winged guests from Palaearctic region beyond the
Himalayas in Northern Eurasia, (Caspian region, Siberia,
Kazakh, Lake Baikal and remote areas of Russia and
neighbouring countries) visit the Chilika every winter to
escape biting cold in their regions.
The Lake had hosted around 8.91 lakh birds of 155
species in the last year.
Of them over 5.12 lakh of migratory birds had visited
the 15.59 sq km Nalabana bird sanctuary inside the lake,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM