OSRTC - Reliance pact may land in trouble
Cuttack: A lease agreement between the Orissa State Road Transport Corporation (OSRTC) and Reliance group of industries over a piece of prime land located in the heart of the city here could run into rough weathers as Orissa High Court on Wednesday intervened into the matter while adjudicating over a PIL.
The PIL filed by Cuttack Bachao Andolan had urged the High Court to scrap the agreement in which OSRTC had leased out about 2.605 acres of its land located near Badambadi bus terminus here to the Reliance group.
A division bench of the court comprising Chief Justice V Gopalgowda and Justice Indrajit Mahanty asked the government advocate to get instructions from the Corporation whether any alternative arrangements could be done to honour the agreement.
Out of about a little less than four acres of free land under its possession at the bus terminus, the OSRTC had earlier this year leased out 2.605 acres of land in favour of Reliance.
This step of the Corporation however, evoked sharp reaction in the city and people in general opposed to it suggesting that the land should have been utilized by the Corporation to expand the congested bus terminus.
Badambadi is the premier bus terminus of the State from where more than one thousand passenger buses originate plying through all major routes of the state.
Over the years, the bus terminus has not bee expanded even as the number of buses passing through it have increased manifold.
Taking up this cause, the Cuttack Bachao Andolan had organized massive protests against the lease agreement and finding no alternative had filed a PIL in the High Court urging the court to scrape the agreement and directing the Corporation to utilize the land for expansion of the terminus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Memorial for India's 'missile man': Naidu, Parrikar unveil statue of APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram
- Aamir Khan turns host for team 'Dangal'!
- No curfew in Srinagar, continues in south Kashmir
- Cockroach milk – The next big 'superfood' and a fantastic protein supplement?
- NASA explains the case of Ceres' missing large craters- Watch the video!