OSRTC - Reliance pact may land in trouble
Cuttack: A lease agreement between the Orissa State Road Transport Corporation (OSRTC) and Reliance group of industries over a piece of prime land located in the heart of the city here could run into rough weathers as Orissa High Court on Wednesday intervened into the matter while adjudicating over a PIL.
The PIL filed by Cuttack Bachao Andolan had urged the High Court to scrap the agreement in which OSRTC had leased out about 2.605 acres of its land located near Badambadi bus terminus here to the Reliance group.
A division bench of the court comprising Chief Justice V Gopalgowda and Justice Indrajit Mahanty asked the government advocate to get instructions from the Corporation whether any alternative arrangements could be done to honour the agreement.
Out of about a little less than four acres of free land under its possession at the bus terminus, the OSRTC had earlier this year leased out 2.605 acres of land in favour of Reliance.
This step of the Corporation however, evoked sharp reaction in the city and people in general opposed to it suggesting that the land should have been utilized by the Corporation to expand the congested bus terminus.
Badambadi is the premier bus terminus of the State from where more than one thousand passenger buses originate plying through all major routes of the state.
Over the years, the bus terminus has not bee expanded even as the number of buses passing through it have increased manifold.
Taking up this cause, the Cuttack Bachao Andolan had organized massive protests against the lease agreement and finding no alternative had filed a PIL in the High Court urging the court to scrape the agreement and directing the Corporation to utilize the land for expansion of the terminus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured