Outbreak of chickungunya feared in Odisha village
Berhampur (Odisha): Chickungunya is feared to have resurfaced in Odisha`s Ganjam district with several people in Boxipalli village showing symptoms of the mosquito-borne viral disease.
"A team of doctors led by the district malaria officer along with the para-medical staff have gone to the affected village yesterday to provide treatment and collect blood samples to confirm the disease",?Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) S K Patnaik said.
Outbreak of the disease in Boxipalli, with predominantly fishermen population, was reported two days ago.The number of affected persons increased to a dozen while two more people reported to suffer from fever yesterday, Patnaik said.
Medical officers had detected at least nine Chikungunya cases in Golabandh, another fishermen dominated village, adjoining Boxipalli last month, he said.
Besides providing treatment and collecting blood samples from affected people in Boxipalli, the health team would create awareness to destroy the stagnant water sources and to dry the water-logging spots in the village, Patnaik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on