Outbreak of chickungunya feared in Odisha village
Berhampur (Odisha): Chickungunya is feared to have resurfaced in Odisha`s Ganjam district with several people in Boxipalli village showing symptoms of the mosquito-borne viral disease.
"A team of doctors led by the district malaria officer along with the para-medical staff have gone to the affected village yesterday to provide treatment and collect blood samples to confirm the disease",?Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) S K Patnaik said.
Outbreak of the disease in Boxipalli, with predominantly fishermen population, was reported two days ago.The number of affected persons increased to a dozen while two more people reported to suffer from fever yesterday, Patnaik said.
Medical officers had detected at least nine Chikungunya cases in Golabandh, another fishermen dominated village, adjoining Boxipalli last month, he said.
Besides providing treatment and collecting blood samples from affected people in Boxipalli, the health team would create awareness to destroy the stagnant water sources and to dry the water-logging spots in the village, Patnaik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees