Outbreak of chickungunya feared in Odisha village
Berhampur (Odisha): Chickungunya is feared to have resurfaced in Odisha`s Ganjam district with several people in Boxipalli village showing symptoms of the mosquito-borne viral disease.
"A team of doctors led by the district malaria officer along with the para-medical staff have gone to the affected village yesterday to provide treatment and collect blood samples to confirm the disease",?Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) S K Patnaik said.
Outbreak of the disease in Boxipalli, with predominantly fishermen population, was reported two days ago.The number of affected persons increased to a dozen while two more people reported to suffer from fever yesterday, Patnaik said.
Medical officers had detected at least nine Chikungunya cases in Golabandh, another fishermen dominated village, adjoining Boxipalli last month, he said.
Besides providing treatment and collecting blood samples from affected people in Boxipalli, the health team would create awareness to destroy the stagnant water sources and to dry the water-logging spots in the village, Patnaik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region- Part II
- DNA: Court acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching case
- Pained by death of his buddy 'Tiger', 26/11 canine hero Caesar goes into depression
- 6.3-magnitude earthquake hits off Papua New Guinea: USGS
- Brexit a danger to US financial stability: Treasury
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders