Outbreak of chickungunya feared in Odisha village
Berhampur (Odisha): Chickungunya is feared to have resurfaced in Odisha`s Ganjam district with several people in Boxipalli village showing symptoms of the mosquito-borne viral disease.
"A team of doctors led by the district malaria officer along with the para-medical staff have gone to the affected village yesterday to provide treatment and collect blood samples to confirm the disease",?Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) S K Patnaik said.
Outbreak of the disease in Boxipalli, with predominantly fishermen population, was reported two days ago.The number of affected persons increased to a dozen while two more people reported to suffer from fever yesterday, Patnaik said.
Medical officers had detected at least nine Chikungunya cases in Golabandh, another fishermen dominated village, adjoining Boxipalli last month, he said.
Besides providing treatment and collecting blood samples from affected people in Boxipalli, the health team would create awareness to destroy the stagnant water sources and to dry the water-logging spots in the village, Patnaik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Lodha panel secretary accused BCCI selectors of taking sexual favours, reveals Ajay Shirke
- TMC govt cracks down on 'Narayani Sena', bans training camps in Cooch Behar district
- Brazil police say IOC's Patrick Hickey discussed illegal ticket sales
- TCS settles Orange County lawsuit for $26 mn; shares down
- Turkish military, US-led coalition launch major operation in northern Syria - officials