Panchayat bandh peaceful despite Maoist bandh
Berhampur (Odisha): Despite a bandh call
given by Maoists, the fourth phase of three-tier panchayat
election passed off peacefully in the naxal-hit areas in
Odisha`s Ganjam and Kandhamal districts on Friday.
The elections for four blocks in Ganjam district,
including the Maoist-infested Sorada and three blocks in
Kandhamal district-Phiringia, Khajuripada and Phulbani went to
poll in the fourth phase.
With this, election for panchayat polls in all 12
blocks in Kandhamal district was completed.
"Bandh called by Maoists had no impact on polling,"
said a senior police officer.
Maoists have called two-day bandh in Ganjam and
Kandhamal districts since yesterday protesting against the
arrest of their three cadres by Ganjam police recently.
The bandh call evoked partial response in some pockets
like Daringibadi, Bramhanigaon and Kotagarh as vehicular
traffic were hit and shops closed for the second day.
Government offices and educational institutes ran as
usual, said an officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack