Panchayat bandh peaceful despite Maoist bandh
Berhampur (Odisha): Despite a bandh call
given by Maoists, the fourth phase of three-tier panchayat
election passed off peacefully in the naxal-hit areas in
Odisha`s Ganjam and Kandhamal districts on Friday.
The elections for four blocks in Ganjam district,
including the Maoist-infested Sorada and three blocks in
Kandhamal district-Phiringia, Khajuripada and Phulbani went to
poll in the fourth phase.
With this, election for panchayat polls in all 12
blocks in Kandhamal district was completed.
"Bandh called by Maoists had no impact on polling,"
said a senior police officer.
Maoists have called two-day bandh in Ganjam and
Kandhamal districts since yesterday protesting against the
arrest of their three cadres by Ganjam police recently.
The bandh call evoked partial response in some pockets
like Daringibadi, Bramhanigaon and Kotagarh as vehicular
traffic were hit and shops closed for the second day.
Government offices and educational institutes ran as
usual, said an officer.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader