Panel probes coal block illegalities in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A parliamentary panel Saturday examined the alleged coal block irregularities in Odisha, an official said.
A seven-member team of the public accounts committee arrived here Friday evening, and held discussions with top officials of the state and of the Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd, a unit of state-run Coal India, in state capital Bhubaneswar.
"The committee has come to look into the audit report which is in the public domain, related to coal block allocations and water conservation," panel member and senior Biju Janata Dal leader Bhartruhari Mahtab told reporters.
Other members of the panel include members of the Congress, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Shiv Sena and Communist Party of India (Marxist).
Although senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi is the chairman of the public accounts committee, he was not present in Bhubaneshwar Saturday, a senior state official told a news agency.
The public accounts committee has been examining reports submitted by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) on alleged illegalities in different sectors, including coal and power.
In a recent report, the CAG had said that private players stood to make windfall gains of Rs. 1.86 lakh crore from the 142 coal blocks allocated to them in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened