Panigrahi panel begins hearing on Kandhamal riots
Bhubaneswar: The Judicial Commission
headed by Basudev Panigrahi, probing into the Kandhamal
communal riot in 2007, today commenced its five-day hearing at
Balliguda which is scheduled to continue till August 6.
About 32 witnesses were scheduled to record their
statements before the commission during the period while
nine deponents had been examined on first day, said J.C.Dash,
government counsel to the commission.
The commission has received 488 affidavits relating to
Kandhmal riots-2007 and already 180 among them have been
In many cases the response of the deponents were,
however, not encouraging as many of them did not attend the
commission despite of repeated approaches, Dash said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed