Parents finally accept baby girl after DNA report in Odisha
Rourkela: A baby girl here, who was abandoned by her mother, was finally accepted by her mother and father after a DNA report established her parentage, Rourkela Government Hospital sources said on Tuesday.
Rita Lakra had given birth to an underweight baby. The baby failed to suck milk from her mother and was admitted at the Special Neo Natal Care Unit (SNUC) of the Rourkela Government Hospital. A dispute began when the hospital staff handed over the discharge report where it was mentioned that the baby was a boy.
The parents of the baby girl refused to accept her saying that the discharge report mentioned that the baby was a boy and claimed that Rita had given birth to a boy.
"It was a typographical error. We knew the truth, still we went by the rule book and conducted DNA test to ascertain the parentage of the baby girl. The report confirmed that Rita and Budun are the girl`s biological parents," said doctor Prasant Patra, in charge of SNCU.
The baby, who was till date kept at SNCU here at Rourkela Government Hospital (RGH) under the supervision of the doctors and nurses, was handed over to her mother Rita in presence of police.
It was a touching moment for the staff members and doctors when Swayamsmbhuta, the name given by the hospital staff to the baby was handed over to Rita and Budun.
"We convinced them (parents) to accept the child. They agreed and finally accepted the child," said Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) RR Mishra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- 7th Pay Commission: Govt employees to get full 6 months arrears in October
- Expect to announce merger with Aircel soon: RCom
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic can still achieve more in football, Eden Hazard on the Swede's Euro 2016 exit
- Xiaomi launches Qicycle, a foldable electric smart bike
- Manoj Bajpayee's 'Budhia Singh – Born to run' showcases the spirit of world's youngest marathon from Odisha – Watch