Parents held for killing daughter in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A couple was arrested in Odisha`s Ganjam district after they claimed to have murdered their 18-year-old daughter for having relationship with some men, police said on Saturday.
Sanyasi Dakua (55) and his wife Satya (45) of Hundata village, who were nabbed Friday, said as per their plan, they went to Berhampur for shopping. On the return trip, they killed their daughter Tuni with a stone in a forest near Chandipadara, about 200 km from the state capital Bhubaneswar on July 16.
The couple took the step to keep the honour of the family. Earlier, they had warned Tuni against continuing the relationship.
The matter came to light after police visited the incident spot and launched an investigation following a phone call from an unknown person.
Police recovered the skull, bones, clothes and other items from the spot, including a mobile phone in a bad condition on July 22.
After questioning those whose numbers were found in the cell phone, police managed to identify the deceased`s parents.
"They (the parents) confessed to having murdered their daughter," Berhampur Sadar police station inspector in-charge Aditya Kumar Sethi said on Saturday.
The couple was produced in a court on Friday where the judge rejected their bail petition and remanded them in judicial custody, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi