Partial impact of trade union strike in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Normal life was partially affected in several parts of Odisha Thursday on the last day of the two-day nation-wide strike called by central trade unions.
People faced difficulties in commuting as buses, taxis auto-rickshaws remained off the roads, leaving a large number of passengers, including women and children, stranded at different places.
In the state capital here, some three-wheelers were seen plying in many areas since this morning, giving respite to the commuters who had a tough time travelling yesterday.
Shops, markets, business establishments and petrol pumps remained closed, while eating joints and kiosks were found open today. Small traders and retailers also resumed their business operations, official sources said.
Banks remained closed with employees picketing and demonstrating at different places, while most educational institutions, including schools, were open.
Train services were disrupted by protesters blocking tracks at many places including Bhubaneswar, besides at Cuttack, Balasore, Khurda Road, Berhampur and Sambalpur, railway sources said.
A report from the port town of Paradip said that loading, unloading and other operations in the port were normal since this morning.
The strike was peaceful so far with police deployed at important places in an effort to prevent any untoward incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry