Partial impact of trade union strike in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Normal life was partially affected in several parts of Odisha Thursday on the last day of the two-day nation-wide strike called by central trade unions.
People faced difficulties in commuting as buses, taxis auto-rickshaws remained off the roads, leaving a large number of passengers, including women and children, stranded at different places.
In the state capital here, some three-wheelers were seen plying in many areas since this morning, giving respite to the commuters who had a tough time travelling yesterday.
Shops, markets, business establishments and petrol pumps remained closed, while eating joints and kiosks were found open today. Small traders and retailers also resumed their business operations, official sources said.
Banks remained closed with employees picketing and demonstrating at different places, while most educational institutions, including schools, were open.
Train services were disrupted by protesters blocking tracks at many places including Bhubaneswar, besides at Cuttack, Balasore, Khurda Road, Berhampur and Sambalpur, railway sources said.
A report from the port town of Paradip said that loading, unloading and other operations in the port were normal since this morning.
The strike was peaceful so far with police deployed at important places in an effort to prevent any untoward incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Massive relief for Central government employees; 7th Pay Commission notification issued
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many Christians, Hindus to Islam?
- REVEALED: How Virat Kohli motivated team on the field - Here's what stump mic picked up
- Katrina Kaif in her little 'Twilight' zone with Robert Pattinson! Pic inside
- Chinese demolitions at Buddhist institute draw fire