Parties attack Naveen Patnaik over burning of teacher
Bhubaneswar: The Odisha teacher who died after being set ablaze allegedly for refusing to withdraw a complaint of molestation was on Saturday cremated at her village in Puri district, even as Opposition parties targeted Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik over the incident.
Attacking Patnaik, OJM president and Rajya Sabha MP Pyarimohan Mohatra asked him to give up his Home portfolio which he has been holding since the BJD government came to power in 2000.
"The rising number of crimes against women show that the Chief Minister is not capable of handling the Home department. It is high time that Patnaik should hand it over to some other minister," Mohapatra told reporters here.
An answer was also necessary from the state government why no action was taken despite the teacher`s repeated appeals to the local, district and state authorities, he said.
BJP state women`s wing president Simanti Jena said "No woman in Odisha is safe under the BJD government."
The Congress also criticised the state government for the teacher`s death at a hospital in Vishakhapatnam yesterday.
The 36-year-old teacher of a school in Tikiri, who refused to withdraw an allegation of molestation against a school sub-inspector, was set on fire on Sunday night by an unidentified person.
A large number of people came out on the streets and held road blockades at different places condemning the incident and demanding punishment for the culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!