Parties demand Rs 5,000 cr as Phailin assistance to Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Nine political parties, including the ruling BJD, on Saturday demanded the Centre to immediately release Rs 5,000 crore for rehabilitation and restoration after Cyclone Phailin.
The nine parties proposed amendment of the norms of the National Disaster Response Fund based on which changes could be made in the State Disaster Response Fund, CPI(M) secretary Janardan Pati said after a meeting of the parties.
The leaders of the nine parties, comprising BJD, BJP, CPI(M), CPI, NCP, Samajwadi Party, BSP and Republican Party at the meeting, expressed concern over the attitude of the Centre during the post-cyclone period.
While condemning the Centre giving kerosene oil at Rs 73 per litre during the cyclone, the nine parties asked the UPA government to declare cyclone Phailin a national calamity in Odisha.
The parties criticised the UPA government for not sending any central minister to assess the magnitude of devastation caused by the cyclone and resultant floods in the state.
A delegation of nine parties would soon submit a memorandum to Governor SC Jamir and draw attention of the President, Pati said.
The state government in two separate memoranda to the Centre had demanded Rs 5832.50 crore for assistance from NDRF.
While Rs 4242.41 crore was demanded for cyclone Phailin in the first phase, Rs 1590.09 crore was sought for floods and heavy rains in the subsequent period.
The Centre has so far released only Rs 750 crore from NDRF, said Revenue and Disaster Management Minister SN Patro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor