Patnaik holds talks to mend fences in BJD
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Friday began talks with leaders of his Biju Janata Dal (BJD) to bridge the rift that had surfaced while he was abroad, a senior party leader said.
"He has begun discussions with party leaders at his official residence. He is meeting them in small groups. This process will continue for some time," a BJD office bearer said.
Patnaik returned home from Britain Thursday evening, two days earlier than scheduled.
The tensions in the party came to the fore when Rajya Sabha MP Pyari Mohan Mohapatra Tuesday held meetings with a large number of legislators at his residence.
He also openly criticised the functioning of the government and the party a day later.
Opponents saw the meeting as a move to destabilise Patnaik and have demanded action against him.
Mohapatra, who has been advisor to the chief minister for more than a decade, denied the allegations and said the legislators met him because they were unhappy with the present state of affairs in the party and the government.
Patnaik has said he would take the "right decision" after holding discussions with senior party leaders on the developments that had taken place during his absence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’