Patnaik questions financial packages to states given by Pranab
Bhubaneswar: Hitting out at UPA`s presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee for providing financial packages to West Bengal, Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Sunday sought to know the motive behind doling out hefty funds to these states.
During his tenure as the Finance Minister, Mukherjee had doled out lakhs of crore of rupees to West Bengal, Bihar and UP, Patnaik told reporters on his return here from a five-day visit to Delhi.
"People have the right to know as to why these hefty financial packages were provided to these states as huge public money was involved," said the BJD supremo, who had accompanied opposition presidential candidate P A Sangma during filing of his nomination in Delhi.
Though there is no objection to financial packages given to these states one needs to know the intention and motive behind it, Patnaik said asking, "Was it provided keeping in mind the ensuing Presidential polls?"
Patnaik`s remarks came hours after he and Sangma were accused by Congress of violating the Constitution by trying to influence the voters using tribal and religion card.
Describing Sangma as a prominent tribal leader, the Odisha Chief Minister said the former Lok Sabha Speaker`s prospects in the race for the top post were getting stronger.
Stating that presidential election was significant, he said probity, integrity and honesty should be given importance.
To a query, the BJD supremo said his party would have no alliance with BJP or Congress in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo