Patnaik urges Centre to allow Odisha avail WB, ADB loans
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Monday wrote to Union Rural Development Minister Nitin Gadkari seeking inclusion of the state for financial aid from World Bank, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), and others to ensure safe drinking water for all.
"I would therefore request you to consider including the state of Odisha in the list of states for which financial assistance will be sought for from these (WB and JICA) external funding agencies during the current financial year," he said in the letter.
Patnaik said, as part of the state government`s commitment to set up large-scale drinking water infrastructure to provide safe drinking water to all sections of the rural population in their premises in a phased manner it had initiated efforts to accomplish the objective by identifying the potentiality of surface water sources.
To meet this challenge, a mega pipe water supply project had been taken up based on surface water sources like large water bodies, dams and perennial rivers, Patnaik said.
As implementation of the projects required huge funding, the state government needs financial assistance from international funding agencies like the World Bank, JICA, and Asian Development Bank (ADB), Patnaik said, requesting the Centre to include Odisha in the list of states to avail the external assistance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot