People know who are responsible for rally clash: Naveen
Bhubaneswar: Embarrassed over Odisha Governor MC Bhandare`s direction for a Lokpal probe into the clash at a recent Congress rally without consulting the state government, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday said the people know who were responsible for the incident.
"About the Lokpal inquiry, I think everyone is well aware of who were responsible for the violence at the meeting that took place on the 6th of this month," Patnaik told reporters a day after Bhandare ordered a Lokpal probe into the clash.
This was for the first time that Bhandare has directed the Lokpal to probe the clash by invoking section 18 of the Lokpal Act and directly referred the matter for investigation.
The governor informed the state government by issuing a letter to the Chief Minister about his action.
The opposition Congress welcomed the Governor`s decision.
"They (government) held us responsible. Now we are hopeful that truth will prevail," said AICC in-charge of Odisha Jagdish Tytler.
Senior Congress leaders have been accusing the police of mounting an attack on party demonstrators in the midst of their meeting when some of them tried to break the cordon and proceed towards the state assembly as part of their announced plan to gherao the building.
The police have registered cases against senior Congress leaders including Jagdish Tytler and OPCC president Niranjan Patnaik holding them responsible for the clash where above 260 people including 60 security personnel were injured.
A woman police constable was assaulted and allegedly molested by the mob at the rally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city