Photos of suspects in Odisha violence released
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Police have released photographs of 36 suspects involved in violence during September 06 Congress rally here in which a policewoman was thrashed and molested in the state capital, an official said on Thursday.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Nitinjit Singh said the pictures were extracted from 12-hour footage from closed-circuit television cameras. The footages are being examined to identify people involved in vandalism. The photographs are being circulated to nab the offenders.
"We are still examining the footage. We may release photographs of some more people soon," Singh told a news agency.
At least 100 people, including Congress protestors and several policemen, were injured when the rally by the state`s main opposition party against Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik-led government on the issue of corruption September 06 turned violent.
The police used water cannons, lobbed teargas shells and resorted to caning to disperse the irate crowds after they stormed the barricade and attacked the securitymen.
While the police claimed they used force after the crowd indulged in vandalism outside the state Legislative Assembly, the Congress has accused the police of attacking its workers and activists and thus triggering violence.
At least 38 people have been so far arrested in connection with the violence. Attack on the woman constable by the mob during the rally evoked an outrage, with both activists and police demanding strong action against the culprits.
Singh said those who attacked the woman constable were mostly from outside the city and efforts are on to identify them.
The mob continued to thrash the woman in uniform with sticks even after she fell to the ground, and tried to protect herself. A man was seen kicking her, and another pulling her hair. The woman was, however, subsequently rescued by some people and taken to a hospital where she is recovering from her injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams