PIL filed in SC to ban illegal mining in Odisha
New Delhi: A PIL has been filed in the Supreme Court seeking CBI probe into illegal mining in Odisha and stopping all mining activities in the state.
NGO Common Cause, which filed the petition, sought immediate intervention in the matter saying that the Justice Shah Commission has pointed out large scale illegal mining in the state.
The apex court will take up the plea on March 3.
Citing the Shah Commission report, the petition seeks directions to "stop forthwith" all illegal mining in Odisha and to terminate all leases were found involved in illegal mining.
It seeks a court-monitored probe by a special investigation team or the CBI into illegal mining in the state.
"Issue a writ directing the Union of India and Government of Odisha to immediately stop forthwith all illegal mining in the State of Odisha and to terminate all leases that are found to be involved in illegal mining and mining in violation of the provisions of the Forest Conservation Act 1980, the environment laws and other laws," the petition said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next