PIL filed in SC to ban illegal mining in Odisha
New Delhi: A PIL has been filed in the Supreme Court seeking CBI probe into illegal mining in Odisha and stopping all mining activities in the state.
NGO Common Cause, which filed the petition, sought immediate intervention in the matter saying that the Justice Shah Commission has pointed out large scale illegal mining in the state.
The apex court will take up the plea on March 3.
Citing the Shah Commission report, the petition seeks directions to "stop forthwith" all illegal mining in Odisha and to terminate all leases were found involved in illegal mining.
It seeks a court-monitored probe by a special investigation team or the CBI into illegal mining in the state.
"Issue a writ directing the Union of India and Government of Odisha to immediately stop forthwith all illegal mining in the State of Odisha and to terminate all leases that are found to be involved in illegal mining and mining in violation of the provisions of the Forest Conservation Act 1980, the environment laws and other laws," the petition said.
- WATCH: Brendon McCullum's unbelievable fielding effort vs Delhi Daredevils in Match 31 of IPL 2016
- I love Karan Patel, but don't want him in my life: Kamya Punjabi
- Get LeEco Le 1s Eco at introductory price of Rs 9,999; flash sale on May 12
- Tamil Nadu Assembly Elections: Did DMK use Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' teaser to target AIADMK, Jayalalithaa over Chennai floods?
- Asthma attack without an inhaler: First aid tips – Watch!