PIL filed in SC to ban illegal mining in Odisha
New Delhi: A PIL has been filed in the Supreme Court seeking CBI probe into illegal mining in Odisha and stopping all mining activities in the state.
NGO Common Cause, which filed the petition, sought immediate intervention in the matter saying that the Justice Shah Commission has pointed out large scale illegal mining in the state.
The apex court will take up the plea on March 3.
Citing the Shah Commission report, the petition seeks directions to "stop forthwith" all illegal mining in Odisha and to terminate all leases were found involved in illegal mining.
It seeks a court-monitored probe by a special investigation team or the CBI into illegal mining in the state.
"Issue a writ directing the Union of India and Government of Odisha to immediately stop forthwith all illegal mining in the State of Odisha and to terminate all leases that are found to be involved in illegal mining and mining in violation of the provisions of the Forest Conservation Act 1980, the environment laws and other laws," the petition said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'