Pipili gang rape case under HC scanner
Cuttack: Orissa High Court on Tuesday directed the arrest of all the accused in the Pipili gang rape of a dalit girl within seven days and ordered the chief medical officer (CMO) of Capital Hospital in Bhubaneswar to submit a detailed report about her health status.
The HC division Bench headed by Chief Justice V Gopala
Gowda ordered the superintendent of police of Puri to
personally monitor the case and submit the action taken report
to the court within seven days after apprehending all the
accused persons in the case.
The division bench, which was hearing a PIL filed by
civil rights activist and advocate Prabir Das, took strong
exception to the police inaction in the case and directed the
superintendent of police of Puri to put an officer in the rank
of deputy superintendent of police to investigate into the
It ordered the hospital CMO to submit the report by
tomorrow stating as to whether the 19-year-old dalit girl, in
coma since the incident in Novemeber last year, is responding
to the treatment and if she needs to be shifted to a better
The Bench directed Bhubaneswar deputy commissioner of
police to immediately post a lady constable near the victim`s
hospital bed to guard her. It also asked the police to step
up surveillance in and around Capital Hospital to prevent the
accused persons from interfering in the security and
treatment of the victim.
The directions were given when the petitioner brought
it the notice of the Chief Justice that the accused persons in
the case are trying to threaten the victim`s family, while
leaders of a particular political party were trying to
intimidate and coerce them.
The case would be heard again tomorrow to consider the
The petitioner urged the court to ensure that the
victim, who is from a dalit BPL family, is given proper
medical treatment by the state government free of cost as she
was now in coma since the incident in November last year.
The petitioner has also sought rehabilitation of the
victim and stringent action against the perpetrators of the
Meanwhile, the state government has ordered a crime
branch enquiry into the incident after the local police
registered a case under various sections of the IPC along with
sections under SC and ST Act against all the four persons
named in the FIR.
Director General of Police Manmohan Praharaj said a
five-member team of the crime branch is already on the job and
said the accused would be dealt severely.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!