Pipili MLA files affidavit before probe panel
Cuttack: Former Odisha minister and BJD MLA Pradeep Maharathy on Wednesday denied before an enquiry commission that he had any role in the sensational Pipili rape and murder case over which he was forced to quit the state cabinet early this year.
In an affidavit filed before Justice P K Mohanty Commission of Enquiry probing the alleged rape and murder of a 19-year-old dalit girl, the Pipili MLA blamed a media house for dragging his name into the incident for political vendetta.
The Commission had issued notice to the lawmaker to file the affidavit following a petition filed by an advocate and witness Nishikant Mishra.
Along with the lawmaker, state home secretary and state DGP also filed their respective affidavits before the panel as was directed by the Commission earlier this month.
With these affidavits, the Commission by now has received 66 affidavits, commission sources said adding the next sitting of the Commission is fixed on November 16.
The Commission has also issued notices for the second time to a local tractor driver and two helpers asking them to file their affidavits before it.
The driver and the helpers of Arjungoda village of Pipili were claimed to have seen for the first time the victim lying in a paddy field in semi-nude and unconscious state in the morning of November 29, 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27