Pipili rape case: Ex-Minister on `Swabhiman Yatra`
Puri: A court on Friday remanded two of the
accused in the alleged gangrape of a dalit girl at Pipili to
judicial custody while Pradip Maharathy, who resigned as
Agriculture minister yesterday held a "Swabhiman Yatra" in the
Pipili assembly constituency seeking people`s support.
Judicial Magistrate First Class (JMFC), Pipili,
Meenakhi Priyadarshani rejected bail petitions of Premananda
Nayak and Abua Pradhan and sent them to judicial custody in
Nimapada sub-jail till January 27.
Both Nayak and Pradhan, named in the FIR filed by the
victim`s father, were earlier arrested by crime branch of
police and produced before the court today.
The prime accused in the incident Prasanta Pradhan alias
Pasei was still in crime branch custody.
The police have arrested all the four accused persons
allegedly involved in the rape and attempt to murder of the
19-year-old dalit girl from Arjungada village under Pipili
police station limit. Earlier, another accused Purna Chandra
Swain was sent to jail after his arrest.
The girl was allegedly raped and there was an attempt
to eliminate her on November 28, 2011, police sources said.
Meanwhile, a day after resigning as Agriculture minister
Pradip Maharathy took out a "Swabhiman Yatra" in his Pipili
assembly constituency seeking support of the people.
Maharathy toured Delang and Pipili areas of his
constituency in a motor-cycle procession. "Have patience,
truth will prevail soon," the five-time MLA assured his
supporters who were emotional over his resignation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!