Pipili rape: Debate disallowed in Assembly
Bhubaneswar: Protesting Speaker`s refusal
to allow for a debate on the sensational Pipili rape case,
opposition Congress on Saturday boycotted Odisha Assembly amidst
pandemonium during most of the day.
"We will not attend assembly proceedings unless the
speaker accepts the adjournment motion notice given by our
party," leader of opposition Bhupinder Singh announced before
leading a walkout.
Alleging that the political arrogance of the ruling
BJD has destroyed the democratic process in Odisha Assembly,
Congress chief whip Prasad Harichandan said: "It was simply a
dishonour to democracy as the Speaker deprived the members
from discussing a sensitive and important matter like the
rising atrocities on women".
The issue was first raised during the question hour by
Singh who wanted to know about the fate of the adjournment
notice given by his party to the Speaker three days ago. "How
can the speaker deny permission to hold a debate on the recent
incident like a series of rapes in different places of the
state," he asked.
While rejecting the opposition notice on adjournment
motion, Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat, however, said: "I am
disallowing the debate on the issue as it is not recent one. I
can only allow a debate on an issue which occurred recently".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest