Plea to cancel bail of ex-Odisha minister, son
Bhubaneswar: Barsa Swony Choudhury, who slapped a dowry harassment case on her husband and father-in-law and former Odisha law minister Raghunath Mohanty, Monday moved the Orissa High Court seeking cancellation of bail given to the two.
Choudhury, 23, filed the petition at Cuttack, 26 km from here, saying that her husband Rajashree and the in-laws allegedly violated the bail conditions and tampered with the evidence in the case.
She alleged that the two accused had been issuing threats to her family members, a lawyer related to the case told IANS.
"She wants the bail granted to her husband and the in-laws be cancelled," he said.
Choudhury lodged a complaint with police at the district headquarters town of Balasore last month alleging that she had been physically and mentally tortured by her husband Rajashree since their wedding in June 2012.
She also alleged that her father-in-law, mother-in-law Pritilata, sister-in-law Rupashree and other family members were also involved in the crime.
She claimed that her parents had given Rs.10 lakh at the time of the marriage, as was demanded, but her husband and the in-laws were unhappy, insisting that her parents pay Rs.25 lakh and also give a multi-utility vehicle.
While Rajasree was arrested March 17, his parents were arrested from Kolkata March 30. A court in Balasore granted bail to them earlier this month.
Mohanty is a five-time legislator from Basta constituency in Balasore district. He resigned from the state cabinet March 15, a day after his daughter-in-law lodged the complaint with police.
Mohanty, 64, had been holding the portfolios of law, urban development and information technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read