Police ASI killed, 4 cops injured in mob attack
Rourkela: An assistant sub-inspector of police was killed and four policemen were seriously injured in a mob attack while trying to execute an arrest warrant at a village in Odisha`s Sundargarh district, police said on Sunday.
The incident took place last night when a seven-member police team led by ASI Nabin Patel went to tribal-dominated Durbahal village to arrest a man wanted in a case of assault of employees of an electricity distribution company some months ago.
When the person was apprehended, he raised an alarm and other villagers attacked the police party with traditional weapons and injured four policemen.
While the rest of the police team managed to escape, the ASI and the driver of the police jeep were caught by the mob and assaulted, IG of police (Western Range) Y K Jethwa said.
The villagers then tied the two to the seats of the jeep and pushed it to a nearby bridge from where it rolled into the swollen Badjore river. The vehicle was soon swept away by the strong river current.
The driver managed to free himself and swam to safety, but the ASI, who is believed to have succumbed to his injuries, could not be traced last night.
His body was traced this morning three kilometres down stream, Sundargarh Superintendent of Police Sanjeeb Arora said.
The police have arrested six persons, including the elder brother of the arrested man, in connection with the incident, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH