Police ASI killed, 4 cops injured in mob attack
Rourkela: An assistant sub-inspector of police was killed and four policemen were seriously injured in a mob attack while trying to execute an arrest warrant at a village in Odisha`s Sundargarh district, police said on Sunday.
The incident took place last night when a seven-member police team led by ASI Nabin Patel went to tribal-dominated Durbahal village to arrest a man wanted in a case of assault of employees of an electricity distribution company some months ago.
When the person was apprehended, he raised an alarm and other villagers attacked the police party with traditional weapons and injured four policemen.
While the rest of the police team managed to escape, the ASI and the driver of the police jeep were caught by the mob and assaulted, IG of police (Western Range) Y K Jethwa said.
The villagers then tied the two to the seats of the jeep and pushed it to a nearby bridge from where it rolled into the swollen Badjore river. The vehicle was soon swept away by the strong river current.
The driver managed to free himself and swam to safety, but the ASI, who is believed to have succumbed to his injuries, could not be traced last night.
His body was traced this morning three kilometres down stream, Sundargarh Superintendent of Police Sanjeeb Arora said.
The police have arrested six persons, including the elder brother of the arrested man, in connection with the incident, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok