Police bust truck smugglers` gang, five held
Jajpur (Odisha): With the arrest of five persons, police on Tuesday claimed to have busted a gang of truck smugglers in Odisha`s Jajpur district.
The gang had been selling stolen trucks to scrap dealers in neighbouring West Benal and Jharkhand, police said.
Those arrested have been identified as Badal Dehury of Subhadrapur, Shaik Alauddin, Shaik Zuman and Sudarshan Samal alia Titua, all belonging to Sasan Purusottampur and Sitesh Das alias Pikan of Dhanmandal under Barachana police limits in Jajpur district.
The gang members were targeting trucks at desolate places along National and State highways. After breaking the locks, the gang drove away with the vehicles to West Bengal and Jharkhand and sold them to the scrap dealers there.
The gang was busted after Barachana police, forming a special squad began probing a theft of a truck at Paikarapur on Paradeep-Daitary express highway a week ago.
The truck, owned by Yasobanta Swain of Solar was left parked at its driver house at Paikarapur. The squad managed to bust the gang yesterday after a weeklong chase.
“We have arrested five members of the inter district gang and are on the lookout for others. The accused during interrogation have confessed that they have stolen at least six trucks from various locations on NH and state highway in Barachana and Balichandrapur area alone,” said Ranjit Kumar Sahu, IIC of Barachana police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Hours-long attack on Kabul American university kills sixteen
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: Kuldeep's Yadav guile puts India Red in driver's seat
- How does smoke effect clouds in terms of climate? NASA flies to Africa to find out!
- Tamil Nadu cricketers picked for Duleep Trophy can play in TN Premier T20 League: BCCI
- Analysts, market participants hail RBI move on bond markets