Police hunt for contractor in Posco violence
Bhubaneswar: Orissa Police are looking for a contractor to investigate his role in the December 14 clashes near the Posco steel plant site in which one person was killed, an official said Monday.
District Superintendent of Police SSDD Singh said a police team on Sunday raided the house and office of Bapi Sarkhel, a contractor and trade union leader at the port town of Paradip in Jagatsinghpur district.
"We could not find him. Efforts are on to take him into custody for questioning," Singh said. He, however, said that no incriminating evidence was found during the searches.
Police have registered two cases against Sarkhel after allegations surfaced that he fomented trouble at the site and used goons to attack anti-Posco villagers.
The clashes erupted after hundreds of villagers did not allow workers to carry out the construction of a road in the region.
The 10-km coastal road will help authorities speed up work for the South Korean steel major Posco`s USD 12 billion project for a composite steel and power plant, the country`s largest foreign direct investment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan