Policeman arrested on extortion charges in Cuttack
Cuttack: A special police officer (SPO) and
three home guards were arrested here and dismissed from
service on charges of extortion, police said on Sunday.
The four, including a home guard driver were on duty in
police control room (PCR) van and picked up a young couple
from a recreational park from the satellite town of Abhinav
Bidanasi on Thursday evening.
Accusing the couple of engaging in illicit activities,
the SPO and the home guards demanded Rs 10,000 from them to
let them go.
As the couple pleaded their innocence and requested to be
let off, another police team arrived at the spot. After
eliciting details from the couple, who filed a written
complaint on the monetary demand, the police arrested the PCR
The PCR personnel were forwarded to court which rejected
their bail petition and remanded them to jail custody after
their bails were rejected.
"The four, including the SPO who is a former army
personnel have been under Section 384 (extortion) and 34
(common intention) of IPC. They have been dismissed from
services," said Markat Nagar police inspector S S Tripathy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!