Policeman arrested on extortion charges in Cuttack
Cuttack: A special police officer (SPO) and
three home guards were arrested here and dismissed from
service on charges of extortion, police said on Sunday.
The four, including a home guard driver were on duty in
police control room (PCR) van and picked up a young couple
from a recreational park from the satellite town of Abhinav
Bidanasi on Thursday evening.
Accusing the couple of engaging in illicit activities,
the SPO and the home guards demanded Rs 10,000 from them to
let them go.
As the couple pleaded their innocence and requested to be
let off, another police team arrived at the spot. After
eliciting details from the couple, who filed a written
complaint on the monetary demand, the police arrested the PCR
The PCR personnel were forwarded to court which rejected
their bail petition and remanded them to jail custody after
their bails were rejected.
"The four, including the SPO who is a former army
personnel have been under Section 384 (extortion) and 34
(common intention) of IPC. They have been dismissed from
services," said Markat Nagar police inspector S S Tripathy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs