Political parties attack Odisha CM over burning of teacher
Bhubaneswar: The Odisha teacher who died after being set ablaze allegedly for refusing to withdraw a complaint of molestation was on Saturday cremated at her village in Puri district, even as Opposition parties targeted Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik over the incident.
Attacking Patnaik, OJM president and Rajya Sabha MP Pyarimohan Mohatra asked him to give up his Home portfolio which he has been holding since the BJD government came to power in 2000.
"The rising number of crimes against women show that the Chief Minister is not capable of handling the Home department. It is high time that Patnaik should hand it over to some other minister," Mohapatra told reporters here.
An answer was also necessary from the state government why no action was taken despite the teacher`s repeated appeals to the local, district and state authorities, he said.
BJP state women`s wing president Simanti Jena said "No woman in Odisha is safe under the BJD government."
The Congress also criticised the state government for the teacher`s death at a hospital in Vishakhapatnam yesterday.
The 36-year-old teacher of a school in Tikiri, who refused to withdraw an allegation of molestation against a school sub-inspector, was set on fire on Sunday night by an unidentified person.
A large number of people came out on the streets and held road blockades at different places condemning the incident and demanding punishment for the culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31