Polling booths for physically-challenged in Odisha soon
Cuttack: Encouraged by the recognition it got after winning the National Award for rehabilitating physically challenged persons, Cuttack district administration in Odisha is planning to make all polling booths of the district disabled-friendly.
All the 2,171 polling booths of Cuttack district would have ramps for moving a wheelchair to facilitate physically challenged people in exercising their franchise during the general elections due next year, a senior official said.
During 2009 general elections, the Election Commission (EC) had directed the state machinery to provide at least one wheelchair in each booth, but the same was not carried out properly in rural areas.
Similarly many schools, which serve as polling booths, do not have permanent ramps and therefore steps would be taken to set up temporary ramps there to facilitate movement of physically challenged persons, a review meeting to strengthen the system of voters` education and electoral participation (SVEEP) held here yesterday decided.
The district authorities also discussed measures to ensure better polling percentage at the meeting, he said.
It was decided that booths registering poor percentage of polling would be identified and a systematic approach would be made at block-level to encourage the people of these areas to exercise their franchise in large numbers.
Voters` awareness drive would be geared up targeting the young voters, particularly in the age group of 18-25 with more emphasis on first-time voters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?