Ponzi scam: CBI arrests director of chit fund company
New Delhi: CBI on Saturday arrested a senior functionary of an Odisha-based chit fund company in connection with a multi-crore ponzi scam after finding him holed up inside a well at the back of his residence in Bhubaneswar.
After carrying out searches at 60 locations in Mumbai and Odisha, the agency zeroed in on Sambit Khuntia, director of Artha Tatwa group and a local level Congress leader, who has been evading arrest for nearly a month.
When the CBI team reached his Bhubaneswar residence this morning, his wife and mother claimed that Khuntia was not at home, agency sources here said.
However, Khuntia`s luck ran out as the sleuths found him hiding in the well in the backyard of his house.
The searches were carried out also at the residence of TV serial producer Priti Bhatia and stock broker Deepak Parekh in Mumbai besides Behrampur, Balasor, and 54 places around Bhubaneshwar.
Parekh has allegedly obtained license from SEBI and MCX for Artha Tatwa group while Bhatia had started a media company along with Pradeep Sethi, Chairman cum Managing Director of the group, who has been arrested by CBI.
CBI sources said premises of Pravata Tripathy, BJD MLA, Ashirbad Behera, Orissa Cricket Association Secretary, Bikash Swain, owner of Surya Prabha newspaper, Manoj Dash, owner of Kamyab TV, Satyabrata Lenka and Sethi were searched.
The premises of Chandrika Patnaik, Radhakrishna Padhi, Jhuma Chakravorty, all directors of the chit-fund company, were also searched during the massive operations in which the agency claimed to have seized incriminating documents.
When contacted, Tripathy confirmed that CBI searches were
being conducted at his premises but denied any involvement in the scam. "I don`t have any connection with the chit fund scam," he said.
CBI officials said that his ancestral house in Khurda and two other places including his official residences at Cuttack and Bhubaneswar were being searched by the sleuths in connection with the chit fund scam.
CBI has alleged that the MLA "was taking protection money from some of the accused", a charge denied by Tripathy.
Tripathy claimed he was being targeted as he had attended some of the meetings of chit fund companies when they were operating as cooperative societies.
Behera, on being contacted, refused to comment on the searches being carried out by CBI.
At least 44 chit fund companies in Odisha have been named in as many FIRs which were mentioned in the May 9 Supreme court order on a civil writ petition filed in 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi