‘Posco can start work before signing fresh MoU’
Bhubaneswar: South Korean steel major Posco
can start work at the proposed plant site near Paradip before
signing fresh MoU with the state, the Orissa government said
Non-revision of MoU with the steel major was not a
problem for beginning activities, it said.
"Work for the steel project and processing of the MoU can
go simultaneously," Chief Secretary B K Patnaik told
There were several instances of allowing companies to
start work at the sites much before signing of the MoU, he
said, adding that the government has so far acquired over
2,000 acres for the purpose.
"We will talk to Posco-India over the matter relating to
beginning of the work at the proposed plant site areas under
Ersama block in Jagatsinghpur district," he said.
However, the company has to agree to begin the work on
the 12 mtpa mega steel plant before entering into any formal
MoU, an official at the steel and mines department said.
Replying a question, Patnaik said Posco-India had already
submitted its views on the controversial export clause in the
"Posco-India`s views on the export clause are being
examined by the law, steel and mines departments. The
provisions of the MMDR need to be in accordance with the
content of the revised MoU," he said.
Posco, in its previous MoU signed in 2005, had wanted
about 4,000 acre to set up the plant at an investment of Rs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- DNA: Why no voice is being raised in favour of Kashmiri Pandits?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city