Posco clash: CPI leader Narayan Reddy arrested
Paradip: A day after nabbing of a key
accused in the clash at proposed Posco steel plant site near
here, CPI leader and former MLA Narayan Reddy was arrested in
connection with the violence that claimed one life.
Reddy was caught near Japa Square in Erasama area of
Jagatsinghpur district in the wee hours while he was trying to
move out of the place, Inspector Gupteswar Bhoi said.
After being arrested, the anti-Posco leader was taken
to Kujang police station amid tight security and then produced
before a local court which remanded him to judicial custody
for two weeks, he said.
Reddy, against whom two FIRs were filed in connection
with the December 14 violence that left D Swain dead and
injured 25 others, had been camping in the area after the
arrest of Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS) president
Abhay Sahu about a month ago, sources said.
"I have been framed in false case," Reddy claimed.
With the arrest of the CPI leader, the number of
people arrested in connection with the clash rose to seven.
Meanwhile, key accused in the clash Bapi Sharkhel of
Paradip Paribahan Company, who had been arrested from
Chhattisgarh, was produced before a magistrate at Kujanga
and sent to jail for 14 days following rejection of his bail
application, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days