Posco: PPSS wants Rahul to visit dharna site
Paradip (Orissa): Facing flak for using
children and women in agitations against the setting up of the
greenfield steel project, Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti(PPSS) on Monday said it wanted AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi to visit the dharna site.
"We want Congress leader Rahul Gandhi to witness the
agitation voluntarily launched by children and women at
Gobindpur village, entry point to Dhinkia gram pancahyat,"
PPSS leader Abhay Sahu said.
Sahu said he had already sent invitation to Rahul
through state-level leaders. "As Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik
is avoiding visiting the area, Rahul`s visit will boost the
Women and children have created a human barricade at
Gobindpur since June 2 to prevent the entry of police and
government officials into their villages.
Gandhi is scheduled to pay a two-day visit to the
state from July 13 and meet youths but has no plans to visit
the Posco project site, Orissa PCC president Niranjan Patnaik
Congress had expressed solidarity with the agitators
and demanded shifting of the proposed mega steel plant from
Dhinkia, a fertile area with betel vines, to some other barren
Meanwhile, pro-Posco United Action Committee has also
invited Rahul to see the situation.
"His (Rahul`s) visit will clear doubts over Congress
stand on Posco project," UAC leader Nirvay Samantray said
claiming a section of the party in the state was against the
steel plant while the PMO and union ministry of environment
and forest was for it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Congress comes out with scathing 'report card' on PM Narendra Modi's 1yr rule