Posco: PPSS wants Rahul to visit dharna site
Paradip (Orissa): Facing flak for using
children and women in agitations against the setting up of the
greenfield steel project, Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti(PPSS) on Monday said it wanted AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi to visit the dharna site.
"We want Congress leader Rahul Gandhi to witness the
agitation voluntarily launched by children and women at
Gobindpur village, entry point to Dhinkia gram pancahyat,"
PPSS leader Abhay Sahu said.
Sahu said he had already sent invitation to Rahul
through state-level leaders. "As Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik
is avoiding visiting the area, Rahul`s visit will boost the
Women and children have created a human barricade at
Gobindpur since June 2 to prevent the entry of police and
government officials into their villages.
Gandhi is scheduled to pay a two-day visit to the
state from July 13 and meet youths but has no plans to visit
the Posco project site, Orissa PCC president Niranjan Patnaik
Congress had expressed solidarity with the agitators
and demanded shifting of the proposed mega steel plant from
Dhinkia, a fertile area with betel vines, to some other barren
Meanwhile, pro-Posco United Action Committee has also
invited Rahul to see the situation.
"His (Rahul`s) visit will clear doubts over Congress
stand on Posco project," UAC leader Nirvay Samantray said
claiming a section of the party in the state was against the
steel plant while the PMO and union ministry of environment
and forest was for it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal