Posco: PPSS wants Rahul to visit dharna site
Paradip (Orissa): Facing flak for using
children and women in agitations against the setting up of the
greenfield steel project, Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti(PPSS) on Monday said it wanted AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi to visit the dharna site.
"We want Congress leader Rahul Gandhi to witness the
agitation voluntarily launched by children and women at
Gobindpur village, entry point to Dhinkia gram pancahyat,"
PPSS leader Abhay Sahu said.
Sahu said he had already sent invitation to Rahul
through state-level leaders. "As Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik
is avoiding visiting the area, Rahul`s visit will boost the
Women and children have created a human barricade at
Gobindpur since June 2 to prevent the entry of police and
government officials into their villages.
Gandhi is scheduled to pay a two-day visit to the
state from July 13 and meet youths but has no plans to visit
the Posco project site, Orissa PCC president Niranjan Patnaik
Congress had expressed solidarity with the agitators
and demanded shifting of the proposed mega steel plant from
Dhinkia, a fertile area with betel vines, to some other barren
Meanwhile, pro-Posco United Action Committee has also
invited Rahul to see the situation.
"His (Rahul`s) visit will clear doubts over Congress
stand on Posco project," UAC leader Nirvay Samantray said
claiming a section of the party in the state was against the
steel plant while the PMO and union ministry of environment
and forest was for it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video