`Posco project should ensure justice to displaced`
Jharsuguda: After backing
tribals of Niyamgiri in Orissa who had opposed Vedanta`s
mining project, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday said people
facing displacement by the Posco steel project should get
justice, proper compensation and rehabilitation.
"Congress is with the people to provide them justice.
Development is essential, but the project affected people
should be provided proper compensation and rehabilitation,"
Gandhi said during an interaction with tribals at a youth
"If Posco provides proper rehabilitation to the
affected people then we will be with Posco. If it fails to do
so, we will be with the agitating people fighting for
justice," he said.
The Nehru-Gandhi scion said he had earlier visited
Niyamgiri hills in Kalahandi district to be part of the tribal
agitating against bauxite mining there.
To a question about alleged non-payment of
compensation to land-losers of Brajarajnagar coal mines area
near here, Gandhi said Congress was with the people in their
quest for justice.
Stating that the Communists opposed development and
liberalisation, and the BJP only thought of development of
rich, he said it was the Congress which always thought for the
development of common people and their interest.
The fruits of development should reach the common man
without any bias, Gandhi said.
To a query on the BJD government in Orissa, he said
Congress could provide funds from Delhi and development
schemes for the welfare of tribals, but it was the duty of the
state to implement them.
"If you are not happy with the present government,
fight at the ground level, stage dharnas, agitation and
change the government through the ballot," Gandhi said.
Stating that Orissa was rich in natural resources, but
the people were poor, he said some states were progressing
fast, but states like Orissa, Jharkhand and Chhattishgarh were
Gandhi also urged tribal women to form SHG groups and
take the advantage of various schemes for their development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands