Prayers, holy dips mark Makar Sankranti in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: People took a holy dip in ponds, tanks and rivers and visited temples across Odisha as they celebrated the harvest festival of Makar Sankranti on Tuesday with religious fervour and enthusiasm.
More than three lakh devotees converged on the pilgrim town of Puri, 56 km from here, and visited the temple of Lord Jagannath to witness the special rituals performed by temple priests on the occasion.
"Long queues of devotees were seen at the temple in the morning," a senior district police official told a news agency.
Devotees also thronged the Puri districts`s beach town Konark and worshipped the Sun God as the sun started its annual shift towards the Earth`s northern hemisphere.
People prepared a special dish made with newly harvested rice, sugar, banana, coconut and black pepper and offered it to the gods. Some exchanged a special dish `Makar Chaula` among themselves.
Many believe that a ritual bath on Makar Sankranti would wash away their sins.
Tribal groups lit bonfires, danced and organised feasts on the eve of Makar Sankranti in various places of Mayurbhanj, Balasore, Keonjhar and Sundergarh districts. Kite-flying competitions were organised in places like Cuttack and other towns with fun and enthusiasm.
In Ganjam district, which has a sizeable Telugu population, people decorated the front of their houses with colourful rangoli and celebrated Pongal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Must watch VIDEO: When RCB's Virat Kohli, Chris Gayle performed 'Bhangda'
- Michael Schumacher is 'reacting' to treatment: Ex-Ferrari boss
- This lake in Sikkim will leave you spellbound – In pics
- Pakistan needs to actively pursue terrorist organisations using their soil, says US
- PSEB 10th result 2016: Tarn Taran girl Simrandeep Kaur tops Punjab School Education Board 10th result with 99.08%