Prez to fast till he offers prayers to Lord Jagannath on September 7
Puri: President Pranab Mukherjee will fast on Saturday till he offers pujas at Sri Jagannth Temple here during his visit to Odisha, official sources said.
"The President will not eat anything till he offers puja at the 12th century shrine," said Puri District Magistrate NK Nayak, who is overseeing the overall arrangements made for the visiting president.
During his night halt at the Raj Bhavan here on September 6, Mukherjee will pay a visit to the sand art to be created by noted sand artist Sudarshan Pattnaik.
For the president`s dinner on Friday night, at least 22 vegetarian items are being prepared at a hotel here.
An insider of the hotel said the President`s dishes would include Odisha`s famous "Chhena Poda" and "Khir Sagar".
Mukherjee is scheduled to visit the temple on Saturday morning. The state government has already asked the Sri Jagannath Temple Administration to ensure that minimum people remain present in the temple during the President`s visit.
Besides deployment of 22 platoons (660 personnel) for the President`s visit, the Coast Guard would patrol in the sea adjoining Puri town, sources said adding that the temple administration has decided to present a `patachitra` painting to Mukherjee.
Gajapati Maharaja of Puri Divyasingha Deb will receive the President on his arrival at the Lion`s Gate of the 12th century Lord Vishnu shrine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NEET: Centre's Ordinance gets President's nod
- Delhi's fruits and vegetables lack essential nutrients: AIIMS study
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- NEET not deferred but implemented from May 1, President's nod has given it statutory support: JP Nadda
- Monsanto jumps 7% on withdrawal of Bt cotton notification
- Rajnath Singh vows to bring Dawood Ibrahim back to India, adds no threat from Islamic State
- Three injured in girder collapse at Rapid Metro under-construction site in Gurgaon
- Rio medal winners to be considered for Khel Ratna, Arjuna