`Prime Minister`, his `cabinet` looks after school in Odisha
Koraput: As you enter Sevashram, a residential school for SC and ST students at Sipaiput in Odisha`s Koraput district, you are welcomed by the "prime minister" of the school.
While the prime minister, Binod Hontal of Class VII, is in overall charge, other `ministers` look after sanitation, cleanliness, hygiene and other matters in a novel experiment in school running.
Thus, Manjula Mudagadia, a 13-year-old student, sees to it that toilets remain clean in her capacity as the "health and sanitation minister".
"Food minister" Budu Pangi ensures that the kitchen is kept hygienic and the students are served food properly.
The ministers are part of a five-member school `cabinet` which was formed in July, 2013. They were elected by students for a period of two years.
The idea to involve students in the upkeep of the school did not come randomly. It was mooted by Odisha government and one teacher from each school underwent a four-day training schedule as a first step towards implementing it.
"Children are instruments of change. With the concept of making a student the prime minister, assisted by a cabinet, a daily routine is ensured of checking whether their schoolmates have bathed, combed and washed," says S Nageswar Rao, the headmaster.
Rao feels that the idea would also help develop leadership qualities and social responsibility among the students. He claimed that after the introduction of the concept, attendance rate at the school has increased appreciably.
"A meeting of the cabinet is held every Saturday, where we discuss the problems of the school. The health minister has been trained to give medicine to students suffering from diarrhoea and fever," he said.
Apart from the food and health ministers, the school cabinet has ministers for sports, environment and cultural activities.
Situated 35km from the district headquarters, Sevashram has 492 students, including 150 girls, from Class I to VII. The school is run by the SC and ST development department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand