Probe begins into Odisha student`s suicide
Bhubaneswar: A probe has been initiated into the suicide of a tribal woman student a week ago in Odisha`s Gajapati district after she did not get her stipend released from the authorities for more than a year, an official said Wednesday.
"The government has directed me to investigate and submit a report within 15 days. I have began the probe," Revenue Divisional Commissioner (Southern Division) Bikash Chandra Mohapatra told IANS.
During the investigation, Mohapatra said he will meet the parents of the victim, local people and officials and ascertain the exact reason behind the suicide.
Nursing student Sunita Raita, 21, committed suicide August 13 at her village Diptinagar in Gajapati district, after allegedly failing to get her stipend released from the authorities for more than a year.
She had also approached the district collector two days before her death with her grievance. In her suicide note, she had named the district collector as being responsible for her death.
Sunita`s parents, who work as daily wagers, said she had joined the course with a hope that the stipend under a government scheme will meet the course fee and hostel dues.
The state government transferred Basudev Bahinipati, the district collector of Gajapati after his name figured in the suicide note.
Although Chief Minister Naveen Patanik announced compensation of Rs 1 lakh to the next of kin of the deceased, the parents of the woman said they will not take the money.
While the state government ordered an administrative enquiry, the central tribal affairs ministry has sought a detailed report from the state authorities on the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon