Probe begins into Odisha student`s suicide
Bhubaneswar: A probe has been initiated into the suicide of a tribal woman student a week ago in Odisha`s Gajapati district after she did not get her stipend released from the authorities for more than a year, an official said Wednesday.
"The government has directed me to investigate and submit a report within 15 days. I have began the probe," Revenue Divisional Commissioner (Southern Division) Bikash Chandra Mohapatra told IANS.
During the investigation, Mohapatra said he will meet the parents of the victim, local people and officials and ascertain the exact reason behind the suicide.
Nursing student Sunita Raita, 21, committed suicide August 13 at her village Diptinagar in Gajapati district, after allegedly failing to get her stipend released from the authorities for more than a year.
She had also approached the district collector two days before her death with her grievance. In her suicide note, she had named the district collector as being responsible for her death.
Sunita`s parents, who work as daily wagers, said she had joined the course with a hope that the stipend under a government scheme will meet the course fee and hostel dues.
The state government transferred Basudev Bahinipati, the district collector of Gajapati after his name figured in the suicide note.
Although Chief Minister Naveen Patanik announced compensation of Rs 1 lakh to the next of kin of the deceased, the parents of the woman said they will not take the money.
While the state government ordered an administrative enquiry, the central tribal affairs ministry has sought a detailed report from the state authorities on the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report