Probe ordered into attack on BJD leader
Bhubaneswar: A day after senior BJD leader Housen Rabi Gandhi was attacked and injured allegedly by a rival group of the ruling party in Jajpur district, the Odisha government on Thursday ordered an investigation into the incident.
The chief minister has issued a direction for getting the incident investigated by the revenue divisional commissioner (central division), official sources said.
Gandhi, who is also the editor of `Utkal Prasang`, a monthly magazine published by the state government, was injured and his vehicle damaged in the attack allegedly by supporters of a BJD MLA.
The leader was first taken to the hospital on Jajpur Road and then to the SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack, police said.
According to the FIR filed by him with the Jajpur Road police, Gandhi was dragged out of his car and beaten up by four motorcycle-borne youths, suspected to be supporters of Korei MLA Pritiranjan Ghadai.
The assailants fled when some of Gandhi`s followers, who had congregated at a temple nearby, rushed to the spot after hearing his cries for help.
Ghadai, however, denied his involvement in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed