Probe rape allegations: Orissa HC to state govt
Cuttack (Odisha): Orissa High Court has
issued notices to the state government to investigate
allegations of sexual exploitation of tribal girls in
government-run residential schools.
The division bench of Chief Justice V Gopala Gowda and
Justice B N Mohapatra yesterday issued notices to the state
government asking the government counsel to obtain
instructions within 15 days and fixed the matter to be heard
again after the state government`s reply.
The HC notice came while hearing the PIL filed by
social activist and lawyer Prabir Das, who is also the
petitioner in sensational Pipili rape case.
Das has alleged that a class IX student of a
Bolangir-based government school was raped in the school by
two teachers in July 2011.
While a police case is pending against the two erring
teachers and a woman peon of the school for helping the
teachers, the girl was thrown out of the school.
"Moreover, the girl’s parents have migrated to
neighbouring Andhra Pradesh in search of livelihood,
leaving the girl alone at home to go through the agony
and trauma," the petition said urging the High Court to
interfere and direct the government to pay a damage of Rs five
lakh to the victim.
The petition has also sought the HC`s direction to the
state government to ensure protection, rehabilitation and
resumption of studies of the girl.
Besides, the petitioner has also brought to the notice
of the HC about similar incidents taking place in other
While a class-IV girl of a Koraput-based sevashram was
allegedly raped by the school headmaster in October 2011, four
minor girls (all of class-VIII) in Nabarangpur residential
school were sexually exploited by the headmaster in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation?
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi