Probe rape allegations: Orissa HC to state govt
Cuttack (Odisha): Orissa High Court has
issued notices to the state government to investigate
allegations of sexual exploitation of tribal girls in
government-run residential schools.
The division bench of Chief Justice V Gopala Gowda and
Justice B N Mohapatra yesterday issued notices to the state
government asking the government counsel to obtain
instructions within 15 days and fixed the matter to be heard
again after the state government`s reply.
The HC notice came while hearing the PIL filed by
social activist and lawyer Prabir Das, who is also the
petitioner in sensational Pipili rape case.
Das has alleged that a class IX student of a
Bolangir-based government school was raped in the school by
two teachers in July 2011.
While a police case is pending against the two erring
teachers and a woman peon of the school for helping the
teachers, the girl was thrown out of the school.
"Moreover, the girl’s parents have migrated to
neighbouring Andhra Pradesh in search of livelihood,
leaving the girl alone at home to go through the agony
and trauma," the petition said urging the High Court to
interfere and direct the government to pay a damage of Rs five
lakh to the victim.
The petition has also sought the HC`s direction to the
state government to ensure protection, rehabilitation and
resumption of studies of the girl.
Besides, the petitioner has also brought to the notice
of the HC about similar incidents taking place in other
While a class-IV girl of a Koraput-based sevashram was
allegedly raped by the school headmaster in October 2011, four
minor girls (all of class-VIII) in Nabarangpur residential
school were sexually exploited by the headmaster in 2010.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah