Probe rape allegations: Orissa HC to state govt
Cuttack (Odisha): Orissa High Court has
issued notices to the state government to investigate
allegations of sexual exploitation of tribal girls in
government-run residential schools.
The division bench of Chief Justice V Gopala Gowda and
Justice B N Mohapatra yesterday issued notices to the state
government asking the government counsel to obtain
instructions within 15 days and fixed the matter to be heard
again after the state government`s reply.
The HC notice came while hearing the PIL filed by
social activist and lawyer Prabir Das, who is also the
petitioner in sensational Pipili rape case.
Das has alleged that a class IX student of a
Bolangir-based government school was raped in the school by
two teachers in July 2011.
While a police case is pending against the two erring
teachers and a woman peon of the school for helping the
teachers, the girl was thrown out of the school.
"Moreover, the girl’s parents have migrated to
neighbouring Andhra Pradesh in search of livelihood,
leaving the girl alone at home to go through the agony
and trauma," the petition said urging the High Court to
interfere and direct the government to pay a damage of Rs five
lakh to the victim.
The petition has also sought the HC`s direction to the
state government to ensure protection, rehabilitation and
resumption of studies of the girl.
Besides, the petitioner has also brought to the notice
of the HC about similar incidents taking place in other
While a class-IV girl of a Koraput-based sevashram was
allegedly raped by the school headmaster in October 2011, four
minor girls (all of class-VIII) in Nabarangpur residential
school were sexually exploited by the headmaster in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender