Puri: American devotee seeking ‘darshan’ beaten up
Bhubaneswar: An American national was on Friday allegedly beaten up in Puri by security personnel when he along with his Indian wife attempted to climb the chariot of Lord Jagannath seeking a `darshan`.
Claiming to have converted to Hinduism, Noel Magee Hayden (32), said he has the right to have darshan of the Lord atop the chariot but was forcibly stopped and beaten up private security guards of the Puri`s Jagannath temple.
"As the Sri Jagannath temple is off limits to non-Hindus, foreign pilgrims, mostly converted-Hindus like me, the Rath Yatra period is an opportunity for us to touch the Lord," California-based Hayden said.
The incident happened soon after the chariots of Jagannath, Balabhadra and Subhadra reached Gundicha temple in the afternoon. "The temple administration would certainly look into the matter and initiate appropriate action in this case," said Chief Temple Administrator Arabinda Padhee.
Hayden and his wife Shilpi from Dhenkanal district of Odisha, were about to climb the ladder of Jagannath`s chariot when some security personnel waylaid them saying that he cannot go up as he is a non-Hindu.
"We tried to explain that it is the only time when we can climb the chariot and view the deities. They argued with me and pushed away my husband. Some of them beat him up," Shilpi said.
"I have received her complaint and will inquire into the matter," said Kumbharapada inspector S K Biswal.
The incident has sparked resentment among the devotees and priests.
"Lord Jagannath is the master of the universe. He comes out on Rath Yatra giving an opportunity for the people who are denied entry into the temple," said priest Daitapati Ramakrushna Dasmohapatra.
"If the security men felt that someone should not be allowed to climb the chariot, they could have facilitate his darshan from below the chariot," the priest said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow