Puri Rath yatra: Temple to ban chariot-climbing, touching idol
Bhubaneswar: Ahead of the ensuing annual Rath Yatra festival, the Jagannath Temple managing committee on Monday asked the Odisha government to stop the practice of devotees climbing atop chariots and touching the Lord.
Puri King Gajapati King Divyasingha Deb, who headed the committee, said this while presiding over a meeting of religious heads who supported Puri Shankaracharya Nischalananda Saraswati`s view of climbing atop chariots and touching the Lord as `sin`.
Hindu pundits from different `matts` and sects also supported the Puri seer and opined that climbing the chariots was against Hindu religion as well as scriptures.
The issue was discussed in detail as `Daitapati` priests, who play significant role during the Rath Yatra, opposed Shankaracharya`s view.
The priests claim that the devotees should not be prevented from climbing the chariots and touch the Lord because the tradition being followed since generations.
Rejecting Daitapati`s argument, the Puri King said that the practice of attaching ladder to the chariots was introduced only in 2006.
Asking the state government to implement Shankaracharya`s decision in toto, Gajapati king also pointed out that the devotees need to be controlled in view of the security besides religious restrictions.
"This is high time that the government must take decision and stop the practise of allowing people to climb the chariots and touching the Lord," Deb said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi