Puri seer sees `conspiracy` in restriction on chariot climbing
Bhubaneswar: After boycotting Sunday`s Rath Yatra, Shankaracharya Swami Nischalananda Saraswati today alleged that there was a "well-planned conspiracy" behind Sri Jagannath Temple Administration asking him to visit the chariots alone without being accompanied by aides.
"Is not there a conspiracy behind the move to put restriction on Shankaracharya climbing the chariots?" the seer said in a statement, claiming that his decision not to attend the Rath Yatra virtually foiled the conspiracy.
"My decision not to climb the chariot should not be considered as an anger or expression of ego. It was a decision," he said.
Citing scriptures where the Shankaracharya has been given absolute rights to perform puja, the seer claimed that the administration has no right to restrict the Shankaracharya to worship the Lord in the sanctum sanctorum.
"The Shankaracharya is authorised to perform the puja on chariots along with his associates and aides...As per tradition, this right will continue to be bestowed upon the Shankaracharyas in future," he said demanding a written authorisation letter in this regard from the chief administrator of the SJTA.
Earlier in the day, the SJTA in a statement said, "The temple Administration has the highest regards for the Jagadguru Shankaracharya and respects his authority. It will make sincere efforts to end the impasse by discussing the issue with him at the earliest possible."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH