Pyari Mohan Mohapatra resigns as BJD RS leader
Bhubaneswar: Suspended BJD MP Pyari Mohan Mohapatra on Saturday resigned as the party`s parliamentary group leader in Rajya Sabha.
"I have submitted my resignation letter to the Chairman of Rajya Sabha this morning," Mohapatra said on his return here.
He said breakdown of communication between him and BJD president and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik was the reason behind his resignation. "There was no point in continuing in the post."
"I will send the copy of my resignation letter to the party president soon," he said, adding that he was, however, yet to get the formal letter from the party president regarding his suspension.
Mohapatra, who was suspended from the party along with two BJD MLAs on June 1 in the aftermath of a failed coup against the Naveen government on May 29, said he would like to work for the people of Odisha as a Rajya Sabha MP.
He was accused of having engineered the coup attempt to topple Patnaik`s government on May 29 when the Chief Minister was on a foreign visit to London.
Mohapatra had refused to accept the suspension announced by Patnaik from the state secretariat, saying "I am not a clerk that my suspension will be announced at the state secretariat. It should have either been done at the party office or at the Naveen Niwas, the residence of the party president."
Patnaik had taken action against 38 leaders, including eight ministers considered close to Mohapatra`s group, who allegedly made the coup bid. Besides the eight ministers, four corporation heads and 24 chiefs of cooperative bodies who had been appointed at Mohapatra`s recommendation have been dropped so far.
During a Ministry expansion on August 2, Patnaik dropped five of the eight ministers including Prafulla Ghadai and Atanu S Nayak for their alleged links with Mohapatra, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo