Pyari upset but rules out threat to Naveen govt
Bhubaneswar: A day after reports indicated that all is not well within the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) party in Odisha, the man at the centre of the “alleged revolt” has denied any such dissidence.
Senior party leader Pyari Mohan Mohapatra said BJD leader and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik continues to be their leader.
He denied speculation that he planned to dethrone Patnaik.
While stating that there was no dissidence in the party, Mohapatra did say that there were grievances because the party organisation was not being looked after properly.
He said party members who had met him said they were unhappy because bureaucrats were not listening to them. He also said some ministers had told him that their secretaries were ignoring them.
Mohapatra, 72, did not name Patnaik but said people with vested interests were trying to create indiscipline in the party and were not being checked despite repeated reminders.
"For one-and-a-half years I have been pointing out indiscipline in the party but no action was taken," he said.
Meanwhile, top party MP Jay Panda also rubbished as mere speculation reports of a revolt.
Panda said, “There is no threat as is being speculated. I want to reiterate that there is no threat to the Naveen Patnaik-led government in the state.”
The trouble started after it was reported that at least 25 BJD MLAs including four senior ministers Tuesday night met at Mohapatra’s Bhubaneswar residence in the absence of Naveen Patnaik, who is in the United Kingdom.
It was being speculated that the BJD was heading for a possible split as a powerful section within the party had fallen out with the CM.
Panda clarified on the issue saying, “The meeting at Pyari Mohan Mohapatra’s residence had nothing to do with the Naveen Patnaik government and it was called to discuss a statewide bandh called by the BJD to protest fuel price hike in the days to come.”
The clarification from the BJD MP came in the wake of reports that the Rajya Sabha MP from Odisha is trying to form a “breakaway government” and is due to meet the Governor today to stake claim to form the government.
The four ministers who attended the meeting presided by Mohapatra included Women Child Development Minister Anjali Behera, Higher Education Minister Badri Narayan Patra, Minister of Food, Civil supplies and Consumer Welfare Minister Sarada Prasad Naik, and Minister for Commerce and Transport Sanjeev Sahoo.
Patnaik is currently in the UK and is scheduled to return on June 3. Despite the reported trouble in his party, he is not expected to cut short his UK trip and return home early.
Reports of a rift widening between Patnaik and Mohapatra have been doing the rounds for quite some time now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe