Queue system to be introduced in Jagannath temple
Puri (Orissa): The famous Jagannath temple
here may soon have a queue system for the devotees so as to
manage crowds and avoid stampede-like situation.
"We are planning to introduce a queue system for devotees
inside the `deul` (sanctum sanctorum) of the main temple. It
will be on the lines of the Tirupati Balaji temple and the
Mata Vaishnodevi temple in the north," Jagannath temple PRO
Laxmi Dhar Puja Panda said.
The temple remains open for devotees from five in the
morning till midnight. The gates are closed for about half-an-
hour at 1:00 pm.
"People from across the world throng the temple whole
day. There is a heavy rush inside the main temple when the
doors are opened for darshan of Lord Jagannath. Elderly,
children and women suffer in the process. Some end up getting
bruised and having no chance to see the deity. That is why we
decided to go for the queue system," he said.
"The people will stand in a line and wait for their turn
for darshan of the Lord Jagannath," he said.
The 12th century Jagannath temple complex, spread over an
area of 4,00,000 sq ft, houses around 120 temples and shrines.
The temple has four chambers. The outermost is Bhogmandir
where prasad is offered to the devotees, the next is the Nata-
mandir -- a pillared hall for music and dance, the third is
the Jagamohana or the mandapa where devotees gather for
worship and the last is the deul enshrining the deities.
Children below five years of age are barred from entering
the deul which houses the three deities -- Lord Jagannath,
Balabhadra and Subhadra.
Panda also said, "Temple authorities have incurred an
expenditure of Rs 25 lakh for the famous Rath Yatra to be held
on July 3."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender