Rahul Gandhi holds talk with Odisha Congress leaders
Cuttack: A day after interacting with grassroot workers from western and southern Odisha, Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi Tuesday held talks with leaders from other regions to discuss strategies to pull the party out of morass in Odisha ahead of the next general elections.
Soon after his arrival at the millennium city of Cuttack, Gandhi held deliberations with party functionaries and office bearers from 16 organisational districts as part of the exercise to bolster the prospects of Congress in the elections due next year.
The 42-year-old Gandhi, who is visiting Odisha for the first time after being elevated as the second in command in Congress, first interacted with district level workers and leaders on issues to be addressed to rejuvenate the party, out of power in the state since 2000.
"Rahulji`s visit and his close interactions with grassroot level leaders will go a long way in strengthening the party," said Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee (OPCC) President Niranjan Patnaik.
"Partymen are encouraged following Rahulji`s visit. It will certainly strengthen Congress in Odisha," said senior party leader Chiranjib Biswal.
Describing Rahul`s visit as significant for next polls, another leader said "it will play a major role in reviving Congress and restoring confidence in partymen many of whom are demoralised after our defeat in three successive assembly elections in the state."
Stating that Gandhi`s meetings with grassroot leaders were progressing smoothly, a senior leader said the Amethi MP is also slated to meet panchayat functionaries owing allegiance to Congress during his day-long programme here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre