Rahul Gandhi holds talk with Odisha Congress leaders
Cuttack: A day after interacting with grassroot workers from western and southern Odisha, Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi Tuesday held talks with leaders from other regions to discuss strategies to pull the party out of morass in Odisha ahead of the next general elections.
Soon after his arrival at the millennium city of Cuttack, Gandhi held deliberations with party functionaries and office bearers from 16 organisational districts as part of the exercise to bolster the prospects of Congress in the elections due next year.
The 42-year-old Gandhi, who is visiting Odisha for the first time after being elevated as the second in command in Congress, first interacted with district level workers and leaders on issues to be addressed to rejuvenate the party, out of power in the state since 2000.
"Rahulji`s visit and his close interactions with grassroot level leaders will go a long way in strengthening the party," said Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee (OPCC) President Niranjan Patnaik.
"Partymen are encouraged following Rahulji`s visit. It will certainly strengthen Congress in Odisha," said senior party leader Chiranjib Biswal.
Describing Rahul`s visit as significant for next polls, another leader said "it will play a major role in reviving Congress and restoring confidence in partymen many of whom are demoralised after our defeat in three successive assembly elections in the state."
Stating that Gandhi`s meetings with grassroot leaders were progressing smoothly, a senior leader said the Amethi MP is also slated to meet panchayat functionaries owing allegiance to Congress during his day-long programme here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand