Rahul reaffirms support to tribals on Niyamgiri
Koraput (Orissa): Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi Wednesday made it clear that there would no change in Centre`s stand on the proposed bauxite mining project at Niyamgiri hills even as there had been a reshuffle in the union Cabinet.
Reaffirming his support to the tribals opposing the proposed bauxite mining for Vedanta at Niyamgiri hills in Orissa`s Kalahandi district, Rahul Gandhi said he would fight for protection of tribal interest.
To a query during an interaction with tribal youths at Kotpad in Koraput district on likelihood of change of stand on Niyamgiri bauxite mining issue after shifting of Jayram Ramesh from the Ministry of Environment and Forest (MoEF), Gandhi replied, it doesn’t t matter who remains the minister. I am with the tribals in their fight against mining at Niyamgiri and at no cost tribals interest will be ignored.
Rahul Gandhi, who in August 2010, came down to Niyamgiri area to observe "Vijay Diwas" along with Dangaria Konda tribes, had announced that he would work as a "sipahi" (soldier) for tribals at New Delhi.
The Nehru-Gandhi scion`s all out support to the tribal`s agitation in Niyamgiri had led to MoEF rejecting a baxuite mining proposal by the state owned Orissa Mining Corporation (OMC) for Vedanta`s refinery project in Kalahandi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'