Rail blockade demanding stoppage of train
Jamshedpur: Rail traffic were disrupted for about five hours today in parts of Chakradharpur division of South Eastern Railway as villagers led by a BJP MLA put up a blockade demanding stoppage of passenger trains at Ghagra in West Singhbhum district, railway sources said.
Hundreds of villagers led by the MLA, Gurucharan Nayak, squatted on the track at Ghagra between Posaita and Manoharpur stations from 06.45 am and lifted the blockade at 11.20 hrs after the railway authorities assured them to look into the demand.
Several long distance trains including up and down Ahmedabad-Howrah Express, Howah-Sambalpur Ispat Express, Puri-Haridwar Utkal Express, Durg-Danapur Express and Tata-Bilaspur Express were stranded at various stations due to the blockade, the sources said.
The railways forwarded the feasibility report in this regard to the higher authorities and intimated this to the BJP MLA in writing, following which the blockade was lifted.
Nayak threatened to launch to launch indefinite blockade if the railways failed to keep the promise to take a decision in this regard within a month.
Railway sources said the rail traffic on the main Howrah-Mumbai route was restored after the blockade was lifted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'